FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WINDSOR SQUARE, CLICK HERE

South Windsor Boulevard
600 block




601


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 65
  • Built in 1913; BPs for house and garage issued 6-16-1913
  • Original commissioner: banker Milton E. Getz
  • Architects: Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns
  • Contractor: The Barber-Bradley Construction Company
  • Banker George A. J. Howard and his wife, Mabel Murray Howard, were the second owners of 601 South Windsor, purchasing the property in 1929; the Howards left it to their daughter, Margaret Mary Howard Miller, and her husband, W. Owens Miller. After Mrs. Miller's death in June 2014, 601 was sold the following January after 85 years in one family
  • An extensive gallery of recent interior views revealing the remarkable period preservation of 601 at the time of its 2015 sale is here
  • Mrs. Howard's sister, Helen Murray Swensen, lived at 16 Berkeley Square







606


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; originally Lot 73 and 74
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 6-14-1923
  • Original commissioner: securities broker George D. Chambers, who died in the house on 9-1-1936
  • Architect: Ray J. Kieffer
  • It appears that after 1940, subdivision of the original two-lot property occurred when the southerly 95' of Lot 73, which included the original garage/servants quarters to the far southeast rear of 606, listed in some early records as a dwelling, was given the address of 616. A BP for a new garage on Lot 74 was issued 4-16-1941


Following George Chambers's death, 606 South Windsor was auctioned by
his widow. The house appears to have been rented into the '40s; by
mid-decade, real estate broker Jackson Diggs had acquired it for
use as his own home and would remain for the next 30 years.

The ad above appeared in the Times on 11-7-1937.







616


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; southerly 95' of Lot 73
  • 616 South Windsor is a neighborhood anomaly. Unlike original Windsor Square residences, it is set at the extreme rear of the property in a corner against two property lines. The original structure—under the horizontal roofline at the upper left corner of the illustration above in which Windsor Boulevard is at right—appears to have been the original garage–servants quarters of 606 South Windsor when that house occupied both lots 74 and 73 (please see above). After 1940 the property belonging to 606 was subdivided, creating 616. A new garage was built for 606 in 1941; its former garage–servants quarters became the basis for 616, which would gain a northerly wing by 1948 (this later acquiring an incongruous Victorianesque turret), and its own garage. At bottom center of the image is 606; at top center is 626






617


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 66, which had not previously contained a dwelling but was at one time a garden attached to 601
  • Built in 1951; BPs for house and garage issued 5-3-1951
  • Original commissioner: Ventura County subdivider Albert L. Gindling as his own home







626


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; northerly 90' of Lot 72
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 3-17-1923
  • Original commissioner: Alexander D. Chisholm in partnership with Evan L. Meikle; around this time, Chisholm and Meikle formed a contracting, building and real estate development company with William H. Fortine, who, along with realtor Charles G. Andrews, was also associated with this project, presumably done on spec. Chisholm, Fortine & Meikle went on to build a number of other residences in Los Angeles during the '20s, including, commencing the same month, 401 South Lucerne Boulevard
  • Architect: listed as Alexander D. Chisholm; though not himself a licensed practitioner, his firm, like other similar organizations, most likely employed draftsmen to execute designs or subcontracted them out to other architects







627


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 67
  • Built in 1912; BP for house issued 6-26-1912
  • Original commissioner: William Crawford McKnight of St. Louis
  • Architect and contractor: Meyer & Holler a.k.a. The Milwaukee Building Company
  • Purchased by Dr. Dudley Fulton in 1919; Fulton immediately commissionerd the Milwaukee Building Company to add a garage for which a BP was issued 3-25-1919


As seen in the Los Angeles Times, 8-31-1913






637


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 68
  • Built in 1912 at 616 South Hobart Boulevard; BPs for house and garage issued 5-29-1912
  • Original commissioner: builder Leonard Woelz, apparently on spec; purchased by Harriet T. Patterson, a widow from Fort Wayne, soon thereafter
  • Architect: Frank M. Tyler
  • House and garage moved to 637 South Windsor in 1923 by Mrs. Patterson for continued use as her own home; relocation BPs for house and garage issued 8-20-1923; contractor in charge: Leonard Woelz
  • Occupied briefly during the mid 1930s by the large and colorful family of railroad man Albert H. Cheap, which afterward, in reverse of prevailing intracity migration, moved to West Adams to settle at 12 St. James Park
  • Demolished for parking lot in 1967; demolition BPs for house and garage issued 7-10-1967
  • Scant photographic evidence of 637 South Windsor has surface as of yet; the aerial view above, part of the USC Digital Library, was taken in 1957. At bottom center is the intersection of Wilshire and Windsor boulevards; 637 is the house directly above it







Illustrations: Private Collection; LATUSCDL