FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WINDSOR SQUARE, CLICK HERE

South Windsor Boulevard
300 block



301


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 47 and northerly 10' of Lot 48 
  • Built in 1982; BP for house and attached garage issued 2-11-1982. Lot not previously built upon
  • Original commissioner: builder Dan Chandler
  • Architect: Hoxie-Tate-Lee






304


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 92
  • Built in 1925; BPs for house and garage issued 8-7-1925
  • Original commissioner: Charles L. Johnson
  • Architects: Ruoff & Munson (Allen Ruoff and Arthur C. Munson)
  • Contractor: Ben K. Tanner







315


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; southerly 90' of Lot 48 and northerly 10' of Lot 49
  • Built in 1953; BP for house with attached garage issued 4-16-1953. Lot not previously built upon
  • Original commissioner: builder Conrad Cornfeldt, apparently on spec
  • A demolition permit for 315 issued 2-10-2003 went unused, as did a BP for a new two-story dwelling on the lot issued 2-12-2003. The original house remains as of 2015







317


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; southerly 90' of Lot 49 and northerly 10' of Lot 50
  • Built in 1914; BPs for house and garage issued 7-10-1914
  • Original commissioner: produce wholesaler Thomas O'Neill
  • Architect: B. Cooper Corbett
  • Contractor: Los Angeles Planing Mill Company




Thomas O'Neill's new house was pictured in the Los Angeles Times on
12-16-1914 as it was nearing completion and a few years later in a brickworks
advertisement in the July 1919 issue of the trade journal The Architect and Engineer.

At some point the balustrade in front of the dormers was lost. As of mid 2015 the mature
vegetation seen in the top illustration of 317 had been scraped away; alteration plans today
mercifully do not seem to include yet another of the sweeping driveways-cum–parking
lots that some current homeowners feel necessary but that tend to unhappily
alter the vintage suburban character of Windsor Square's original tracts.









322


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 91
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 2-26-1923
  • Original commissioner: attorney George E. Farrand, general counsel to Sunkist Growers and the California Walnut Growers Association
  • Architect: Johnson, Kaufmann & Coate (Reginald D. Johnson, Gordon B. Kaufmann, and Roland E. Coate)
  • Contractor: John Mayer
  • Farrand hired Gordon B. Kaufmann to design additions and alterations in 1931; BP issued 9-4-1931
  • Farrand died at 322 on 5-31-1954; Mrs. Farrand died in the house on 3-11-1958. Their son Knox Farrand then occupied the house, which appears to have been retained by the family until sold on 5-31-2006







326


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 90
  • Built in 1915; BP for house issued week of 9-30-1915
  • Original commissioner: Dr. Ralph Rowlett Williams
  • Architect: Eisen & Son (Theodore A. and Percy A. Eisen)


Described as having been started within the month, 326 South Windsor appeared in the
Los Angeles Times on 12-26-1915. Dr. and Mrs. Williams moved in for a short stay
before divorcing in 1919; not long after, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Bovard Hammond
acquired the house, making additions in 1924 and 1927. The investment
banker's family stayed until his unexpected death in August 1939.







330


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; northerly 75' of Lot 89
  • Built in 1919; BPs for house and garage issued 9-4-1919 (as 332 South Windsor)
  • Original commissioner: banker and Christian Science practicioner John G. Spangler
  • Architect: Elmer Grey
  • The house's address appears to have been altered from 332 to 330 between 1930 and 1934 by its third owner, Dr. Ellis W. Jones






333


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; southerly 90' of Lot 50
  • Built in 1914; BPs for house and garage issued 2-7-1914
  • Original commissioner: Mary Crimmins
  • Architect: Morgan, Walls & Morgan (Octavius Morgan, John A. Walls, and Octavius Weller Morgan)
  • Contractor: Frederick R. Brauer
  • In 1916, Mary Crimmins hired Morgan, Walls & Morgan to enlarge the entrance portico of 333; BP issued 6-29-1916
  • Mary Crimmins died 5-5-1918; she left 333 to her relative Annie E. Leary
  • The film composer Dimitri Tiomkin bought 333 after it came on the market in the spring of 1950 and added a pool the next year; several hours after his wife's funeral on 10-6-1967, Tiomkin was ambushed, tied up, and pistol whipped at 333. He put the house on the market soon after


Two of the earliest houses in Windsor Square are pictured circa 1915. At left is the Crimmins house
at 333, seen before its entrance portico was enlarged in 1916; out front is what may be
Mary Crimmins's Baker electric coupé. At right is Thomas O'Neill's house at 317.







343


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; the southerly 80' of the northerly 90' of Lot 51
  • Built in 1922; BPs for house and garage–servants' quarters issued 2-24-1922
  • Original commissioner: building contractor Maurice B. Korman. Korman's habit appears to have been to build a house, live in it, and repeat the process; after he left 343, he built and moved to 135 Fremont Place 
  • Architect: Saul H. Brown
  • Contractor: Maurice B. Korman


A rendering of 343 South Windsor appeared in the Los Angeles Times on 10-29-1922







354


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lots 87, 88, and the southerly 25' of Lot 89
  • Built in 1915; BPs for house and garage issued 4-17-1915
  • Original commissioner: Kate Van Nuys Page, wife of banker and businessman James R. Page. Mrs. Page was the sister of James Benton Van Nuys, who moved their father's house from West Sixth Street to 357 Lorraine Boulevard, directly behind 354, at the same time she built hers
  • Architects: Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns
  • Contractor: Thomas C. Marlowe
  • In 1930, James R. Page hired Robert D. Farquhar to repair fire damage and design interior alterations
  • In 1949, James R. Page hired Wallace Neff to design various alterations
  • Still living at 354, Mr. Page died in 1962 and Mrs. Page in 1966







355


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 52 and southerly 10' of Lot 51
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 9-6-1923
  • Original commissioner: attorney Edward D. Lyman
  • Architect: Allison & Allison (David C. and James E. Allison)
  • Contractor: Charles D. Goldthwaite
  • Lyman hired Allison & Allison to design an addition to the house's library in 1928 (BP issued 12-8-1928) and ordered a servants' quarters added to the garage in 1929 (BP issued 1-14-1929)







Illustrations: Private Collection; LAT; The Architect and EngineerUCLA Library