South Plymouth Boulevard
600 block


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; northerly 115' of Lot 19
  • Built in 1913 at 627 South Ardmore Avenue
  • Original commissioner: Juanita Gless, pioneer Angeleno and great-great-grandmother of actress Sharon Gless; purchased by department-store executive John G. Bullock in 1918 for use as his own home
  • Architect: Arthur S. Heineman
  • Moved by Bullock to 605 South Plymouth and retained as an investment; Bullock himself then moved into 627 South Plymouth (see below). BPs for relocation of house and garage from 627 South Ardmore to 605 South Plymouth issued 7-27-1925. Kress House Moving Company in charge


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lots 27 and 28 less easterly 10' of each
  • Built in 1920; BP for house issued 5-1-1920, for garage 7-22-1920
  • Original commissioner: Grace E. Pattison, widow of mining executive Simeon Martin Pattison; BPs, however, list as owner Mrs. Pattison's 26-year-old daughter Lois as owner. An extended Pattison family owned the house into the 1940s
  • Architect: Meyer & Holler a.k.a. The Milwaukee Building Company
  • Contractor: The Milwaukee Building Company

As seen in the Los Angeles Times, 12-5-1920: The second-floor bay window now part of the façade
 of 606 was added in alterations designed by the original architects in the summer of 1929.


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; northerly 70' of Lot 20 and southerly 10' of Lot 19
  • Built in 1935 at 676 South Highland Avenue; BPs for house and garage issued 5-14-1935
  • Original commissioner: Superior Court Judge William C. Doran
  • Architect: Ralph S. Loring in partnership with William G. Chandler, who acted as engineer
  • House moved to 617 South Plymouth in 1969 by Dr. Stephan B. van Adelsberg, apparently as an investment; relocation BP, which included an application for the addition of an attached two-car garage, issued 3-21-1969


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 26
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 2-24-1923
  • The identities of earliest residents are as yet unclear; a classified advertisement offering the house for sale appeared in the Times on 1-30-1927
  • Occupying the house by July 1927 was the family of Arthur C. Parsons, a vice-president of the Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company. Parsons and his family were moving from 4472 Wilshire Boulevard, which he appears to have occupied as a rental after moving down from San Francisco in 1925
  • Apparently in the habit of using chloroform to ease sinus headaches, Arthur C. Parson died at 626 after what was called an overinhalation of the drug after a sinus attack on February 27, 1931
  • Apparently in residence briefly during 1932 was an Anna Weinberg; her 12 rooms of possessions were auctioned off in February 1933. Advertisements for the sale included the notation "The furnishings for this charming home were all assembled within the year"
  • In residence later in the decade was Mrs. Robert Mallard Fulton, a widow, and her mother, Mrs. George Mitchell, also a widow; both mother and daughter were born in Wales. Mrs. Fulton was married in Los Angeles on 1-20-1909; her husband died in Paris on the couple's round-the-world honeymoon the following May 16. Mary Woodwell Mitchell died at 626 South Plymouth on 5-13-1941


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 21 and southerly 35' of Lot 20
  • Built in 1906 at 3200 Wilshire Boulevard; BP issued 7-27-1906
  • Original commissioner: banker and manufacturer William Lacy; acquired by department-store executive John G. Bullock in 1922 as an investment
  • Architect: Sumner P. Hunt and Wesley Eager
  • House and garage moved to 627 South Plymouth in 1924 by Bullock; relocation BPs for house and garage issued 8-15-1924; Kress House Moving Company in charge. Bullock remained in his home at 627 South Ardmore until moving that house to his property containing 627 South Plymouth, where it became 605 South Plymouth (see above). Bullock then moved into 627 South Plymouth and retained 605 as an investment
  • FOR A COMPLETE HISTORY, PLEASE SEE 3200 Wilshire Boulevard


  • Windsor Square Tract 1390; Lot 25
  • Built in 1914 at 636 South Gramercy Place
  • Original commissioner: importer Eugene B. Fatman; acquired by Samuel Hall by 1924
  • Architects: Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns
  • Contractor: William W. Dorn
  • House and garage moved to 636 South Plymouth in 1924 by Hall; relocation BPs for house and garage issued 6-20-1924; Hunt & Burns engaged to supervise move and design additions including a new porte cochère; contractor in charge: Abram R. Roberts

Illustrations: Private Collection; LAT