FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WINDSOR SQUARE, CLICK HERE

South Lucerne Boulevard
600 block




602


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; the southerly 65.05' of the westerly 135' of Lot 5
  • Built in 1957; BP for house and attached garage issued 5-3-1957 following demolition of the original house on the lot (see below)
  • Original commissioners: Mr. and Mrs. Louis J. Fuller 
  • Contractor: William A. Lundberg & Son
  • Original house occupying the entirety of Lot 5 was built circa 1907 at 3301 Wilshire Boulevard. That house's original commissioner was real estate investor and dealer Charles G. Andrews. Acquired by hotel manager George A. Eastman circa 1922; Eastman moved the house and its garage to 602 South Lucerne in 1923 for continued use as his own home. Relocation BPs for house and garage issued 5-28-1923. That house was demolished in 1956; BP for demolition of house issued 11-15-1956
  • FOR MORE, PLEASE SEE 3301 Wilshire Boulevard


The original house occupying the southeast corner of Lucerne Boulevard and Sixth Street, relocated
to the lot three years before, was pictured in the Los Angeles Times on 5-30-1926.







605


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; northerly 105.36' of Lot 6
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 11-9-1922
  • Original commissioner: real estate investor Walter M. Guedel as, temporarily, his own home
  • Architect: Robert D. Jones in partnership with Sanson M. Cooper acting as contractor


When the Guedel house was placed on the market in 1925 by area real estate broker Burton & Co., the
firm had it photographed for promotional purposes. Engineer George L. Hoxie soon moved in.







606


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; the northerly 60' of the westerly 135' of Lot 5
  • Built in 1958; BP for house and attached garage issued 2-13-1958
  • Original commissioners: Mr. and Mrs. William A. Lundberg for resale
  • Contractor: William A. Lundberg & Son
  • 606 is the third house built by developer William A. Lundberg on Lot 5, which he bought and subdivided after demolishing the original residence addressed 602 (see above); see also 4518 West Sixth Street 







617


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 7 and southerly 10' of Lot 6
  • Built in 1923; BPs for house and garage issued 5-25-1923
  • Original commissioner: The Houston-based Russell Brown Brown Company, recently expanded to Los Angeles and building similar houses in Windsor Square and Fremont Place; as were several of their projects, 617 was built on spec
  • Architect: The De Luxe Building Company
  • Contractor: The Russell Brown Company
  • Before it was sold, The Russell Brown Company expanded the garage to include space for a third car and servants' quarters in 1924; BP issued 1-3-1924
  • The house was sold to James W. Hellman, pioneer Los Angeles hardware merchant and member of the banking clan; he died at 617 on 4-22-1940


While it maintained an office in Los Angeles during the 1920s, the Russell Brown Company ran
various display advertisements in the Los Angeles Times, one of which featured
a rendering of its project at 617 South Lucerne Boulevard.






618


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 4
  • Built in 1916 at 620 South St. Andrews Place; BP issued 10-14-1916
  • Original commissioner: builder Sanson M. Cooper on spec
  • Architect: Harry H. Whiteley
  • Contractor: Cooper-Pyle-Clopine (Sanson M. Cooper, Emery C. Pyle, William E. Clopine)
  • Sold by Cooper to Mr. and Mrs. James S. Casey, recently of Butte, Montana, in March 1917
  • Moved to 618 South Lucerne in 1924 by Mr. and Mrs. Casey for continued use as their own home; relocation BP issued 7-9-1924. Driveway relocated to opposite side of house at new location
  • New garage–servants' quarters built in 1924; BP issued 11-8-1924; architect-contractor: Edward H. Haarlammert







629


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 8
  • Built in 1918; BPs for house and garage issued 11-6-1917
  • Original commissioner: oil producer Harry C. Keefe
  • Architect and contractor: S. M. Cooper Company
  • Original garage demolished 2005; demolition BP issued 8-5-2005
  • New carport and recreation room built 2005; BP issued 7-28-2005


Hiding behind the shrubbery in this 1991 view of 629 South Lucerne, at the last flight up from the
sidewalk just in front of the porch, are a pair of crouching lions. Perhaps they are original to
the house, or perhaps part of an occupant's collection; the pair at the sidewalk, now
gone missing, appear to have migrated from 449 South Plymouth Boulevard,
one of the very few original Windsor Square houses to be demolished.







630


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 3
  • Built in 1912 at 608 South St. Andrews Place; contract for house and garage let in December 1911
  • Original commissioner: Bullock's executive Herbert M. Bigelow
  • Acquired by osteopath Arthur S. Burgess and his wife Freida circa 1918
  • House and garage moved to 630 South Lucerne in 1923 by Mr. and Mrs. Burgess for continued use as their own home; relocation BP for house and garage issued 10-27-1923; Kress House Moving Company in charge







637


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 9
  • Built in 1902 at 2619 Wilshire Boulevard
  • Original commissioner: Chicago grain merchant Hiram Higgins; occupied by his family until purchased by interior decorator Howard Verbeck and his wife in 1919
  • Architect: John C. Austin
  • House and garage moved from Wilshire Boulevard to 637 South Lucerne in 1923 by Verbeck for continued use as his own home; relocation BPs issued 4-20-1923. Kress House Moving Company in charge
  • Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #403
  • FOR A COMPLETE HISTORY, PLEASE SEE 2619 Wilshire Boulevard


While Harold Lloyd had moved on from his one-time Windsor Square home at 502 South Irving
40 years before, he came home to say goodbye at the Scottish Rite Temple on Wilshire
Boulevard, where his funeral was held on March 11, 1971. The Higgins-Verbeck
house looms across Lucerne Boulevard in the background.






638


  • Wilshire Heights Tract 1476 addition to Windsor Square; Lot 2
  • Built in 1912 at 625 South Western Avenue; BP issued 7-8-1912
  • Original commissioner: builder John V. Peacock as his own home
  • Architect and contractor listed on original BP: John V. Peacock
  • Sold to real estate man Herbert R. Kells for use as his own home; Kells moved to a new residence on South Serrano Street and converted 625 South Western to an office for his firm, Kells & Grant
  • Purchased circa 1923 by real estate investor Otto Thum, who had made a fortune with his brothers as the large-scale manufacturers of their patented version of flypaper
  • House moved by Thum from Western Avenue to 638 South Lucerne for use as his own home; architects Stanton, Reid & Hibbard in charge of renovation at the new location and the construction of a new garage–servants' quarters. Relocation BP for house issued 6-17-1924; BP for new garage issued 8-19-1924
  • House demolished 1960; BP issued 12-18-1959. Replaced by a parking lot for the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple, completed in 1961
  • The above image of the house at its original location on Western Avenue appeared in the Los Angeles Times on 9-14-1913 accompanying a report on its sale to Kells







Illustrations: Private Collection; LATUSCDL; LAPL